Welcome to my blog and thanks soso much for spending a little while peeping into my world

ARTS, BELLYDANCING, CRAFTS
BELLYDANCING, ARTS, CRAFTS
CRAFTS, BELLYDANCING, ARTS

whichever order I put them in, these are my passion!

... all from my little home studio in Durban, on the east coast of sunny South Africa!

"I used to think that anyone doing anything weird was weird. I suddenly realized that anyone doing anything weird wasn't weird at all and it was the people saying they were weird that were weird." -- Paul McCartney









Sunday, November 14, 2010

GREETINGS FROM AFRICA


This week's Vickie Quickie in the Nana Vic's Digitals offered a fabulous "Warrior and Son" freebie with which to create a card. The minute I saw it I knew that I would be making a card similar to those that I have made (in abundance) for the Durban tourist trade. Cards similar to this one have found their way all over the world, and I am proud to say to the British Prince William for his 21st birthday. A complete stranger had purchased one of my ethnic African cards, composed a poem, and sent it to him for his birthday a few years ago. She received a beautiful thank you letter, remarking on the card, and she sent me a copy of that letter.

I coloured the image using my coloured pencils and own technique to give it a similar look to the many oil pastel drawings that are sold in Durban's curio shops. The top square features an embellishment made by my online friend, Charlie, who sent it to me in a parcel of RAK's recently. The embellishment in the bottom square has a border of African beading, which I sewed on using invisible thread. I added two porcupine quills, a guinea fowl feather, a raffia bow and beads made from seeds that the ethnic people use to make jewellery.

I will enter this card into the current Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge #79, a challenge that I really love to participate in each week.

If you would like to join Nana Vic's Digitals Group on CDAC and play along on the Vickie Quickie each week, click here

If you would like to join in the challenges on the Midnight Madness Sketch challenges each week, click here.

7 comments:

  1. Wow what a lovely African themed card. Beautiful details. Thanks so much for joining us this week at Midnight Madness!
    Denise
    MMDT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your card and what a great take on the sketch. Your bead work is exceptional. Thank you so much for joining in the fun this week at the Midnight Madness sketch challenge.
    Priscilla
    MMSC Hostess

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Jen - your card is fabulous!! How cool that Prince William got one of your card - you are famous girl! LOL!! I love the image and the gorgeous colours you have used - this is one cool card! Love it! Thank you so much for playing along with the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge we appreciate your support! {{{hugs}}}
    Linda MMSC Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi JenLee!
    Love this africa card! Absolutely fabolous JenLee. The image is so lovely and the animalcollage is supercool! I love this! How cool to know that Prins William have recived one of your cards!

    Thank you so much for joining in on our challenge. We really appriciate your support and hope to see you again next week.

    Mvh
    Gunn
    Midnight Madness Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen Lee, this is just stunning! I love the African bead work, the animal art, quills and feathers which are all just exceptional! This is just fantastic and I'm so intrigued with this card! Thanks so much for entering the challenge this week, I'm looking forward to seeing your creation for next week!
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    MMDT-GD

    ReplyDelete
  6. A really beautiful card JenLee! =)

    Hugs, Elenor

    http://www.metrobloggen.se/paltbarn

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear that you have been here, so please leave a comment! I welcome all craft related comments and read every one of them!